Market Snoop: Southbank Centre Book Market. If you love literature, you must visit the Southbank Centre Book Market. You’ll find a wide variety of genres, paperbacks, hardcovers, comics, illustration prints and vinyl records. This is a must for anyone looking for secondhand books or antique books.
Daily Book Market Under Waterloo Bridge
Southbank Centre Book Market Stock
This market is a joy to browse because there are so many books available spanning every genre imaginable. I’ll mention some of the book collections to give you an idea of what to expect.
1. Books for Children: Treat the kids to The Lottie Project, Emerald Star or The Bed and Breakfast Star by Jacqueline Wilson. The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy or one of the Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi might be appreciated. Harry Potter is also available if you don’t already have a copy that is.
2. Books for Science Fiction Fans: Go retro with the X-Files or classic with Doctor Who. Star Trek and Star Wars are ready to join your sci-fi selection.
Science Fiction Books
3. Books for Fantasy Fans: You’ve seen the box set, now read the Game of Thrones books by George R R Martin. The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings by Tolkien will also keep you busy.
4. Books for Theatre Fans: Pick up a paperback play from Shakespeare or a contemporary playwright.
5. Books for Holiday: If you are going away on vacation, you can buy a few best-sellers such as crime novels or a light-hearted love story.
6. Books for Collectors: Hardcover antique books such as the Waverley Novels by Scott can be acquired. You might want to read these antique books, collect them or use to decorate shelves in your home.
7. Comics: You can also buy DC Comics at the market featuring Spiderman or Generation X Comics.
8. Art Prints: If you’re looking for interesting artwork, check out the beautiful botanical illustrations. Animals, birds, trees, nature and other drawings are available. Works by famous cartoonists Heath Robinson and Henry Mayo Bateman will cheer up your home office walls.
9. Historical Maps: Geography nerds might like to flick through the historical maps of the British Isles and London. Town plans are also available to buy.
10. Vinyl: If you have a record player, you can buy a jazz LP or favourite crooner whether that’s Frank Sinatra of Elvis.
Southbank Centre Book Market Information
To find out more about the Book Market, go to the Southbank Centre Website. The location is under Waterloo Bridge which is on Queen’s Walk on the bank of the River Thames. The address is Belvedere Road, South Bank, London SE1 9PX. The nearest stations are Waterloo and Waterloo East. The market is open daily from 10 am until 7 pm.
Interesting Things To Do Near The Southbank Centre Book Market
There is so much to do along the South Bank. Some of the attractions include the London Eye, Oxo Tower and Gabriel’s Wharf. You also have the cultural venues from the Royal Festival Hall to the Hayward Gallery and National Theatre. Check out the Southbank Centre and the roof garden in the summer. Read my Ten Things to do in South Bank List for more information. Enjoy reading your book!
Author: Homegirl London. Photographs: Homegirl London.