Ten Home Decor and Interior Design Trends 2020: As the new decade gets underway, it’s an exciting year for home decor trends and interior design trends. You probably know that Pantone has named Classic Blue as their Colour of the Year. Dulux has heralded Serene Green as its key paint colour. Connect with nature and in particular, the forest the Shinrin-Yoku trend from Japan. Introduce a few traditional home accessories and recycled plastic, and you’re on-trend! Take a look at my Ten Home Decor and Interior Design Trends 2020 list to see what takes your fancy.
- Choose blue hues starring the Pantone classic blue colour of the year
- Be serene with green paint colours for relaxation
- Bring the outside in with Shinrin-Yoku forest therapy
- Feel young with a fresh and fun colour clash
- Be bold with monochrome black and white interiors
- Cheer up your walls with Japanese, chintzy or floral pattern wallpapers
- Bring back traditional touches with decorative pieces
- Pick heritage tile patterns with a modern twist
- Swap hard lines with curves to take the edge off your interiors
- Do your bit for the planet with recycled plastic trash products
Lumino Midnight Blue Juni Extra Large Sofa from Barker and Stonehouse (Affiliate Link and Picture Link)
Ten Home Decor and Interior Design Trends 2020 List
1. Pantone classic blue colour of the year: Each year Pantone announces a core colour trend which is Classic Blue for 2020. The Pantone reference is 19-4052. Classic Blue has been selected because it instils calm, confidence and connection as we cross into a new era. Paint, wallpaper or tile your walls in Classic Blue hues or Inky Blue shades. For more information read my Classic Blue Interior Colour Trend 2020 article.
Rhapsody Paint Colour from Graham & Brown (Affiliate Link and Picture Link)
2. Serene green paint colours: Green is a gorgeous paint colour for the interior walls. Dulux is touting Tranquil Dawn which is a green, blue and grey shade. Paint brand, Behr, is recommending Back to Nature, a natural and therapeutic colour. For more information read my Gorgeous Green Paint Colour Trend 2020 article.
Tranquil Dawn Paint Colour from Dulux (Affiliate Link and Picture Link)
3. Shinrin-Yoku (Forest Therapy): Take in the forest atmosphere and bring it into your home. Forest bathing was developed in Japan during the 1980s and is said to improve happiness, mental health and boost the immune system. It’s essentially taking a walk or hanging out in a forest. Bring a touch of the forest into your home with green paint colours or woodland wallpapers and murals. Crown Paints says, “by surrounding ourselves with greenery, we can create a space that rejuvenates mind and body.” Try their Soft Lime, Khaki Twist and Gentle Olive paint colours if you want to connect with nature in your home.
Soft Lime and Spotlight Paint Colours from Crown Paints
4. Fresh and fun colour clash: Pair clashing colours such as emerald green with bubblegum pink to create an energetic environment. Try Crown Paints Secret Escape (vibrant green) with Fairy Dust (bubblegum pink). Neo Mint is an essential colour for 2020 as identified by WGSN, and it’s a green pastel shade which is gender-neutral and aligns science with technology and nature. Introduce Neo Mint into your interiors along with a clashing colour.
Secret Escape and Splash of Pepper Paint Colours from Crown Paints
5. Bold monochrome black and white interiors: Chequerboard tiles on the floor, black walls with white furniture or vice versa. If you love striking décor, you can go to town with this simple and timeless black and white palette.
Soho Marble Effect Tiles from Walls and Floors (Affiliate Link and Picture Link)
6. Japanese, chintzy or floral pattern wallpaper: Lavish bedroom walls with Japanese cherry blossom for a restful night. Liven up your lounge with bold florals in warm colours. Give your dining room a jolt with over the top chintz. While you’re at it, wallpaper the ceiling with a pattern!
Venetian Deep Plum Wallpaper from Graham & Brown (Affiliate Link and Picture Link)
7. Traditional touches: It’s time to visit antique shops and buy a few classical decorative objects. Pop into the Pentreath and Hall Shop where you can buy plaster casts by Peter Hone. Pick up a few ornate and trashy ornaments and display those on your shelves.
Plaster Casts by Peter Hone at Pentreath and Hall Shop
8. Heritage tile patterns with a modern twist: Take a few cues from bygone eras of Victorian, Edwardian and Art Deco and steal their tile designs. Update with contemporary colours and tile pattern formations such as Chevron or Herringbone.
Victorian Floor Tiles in Black, Dover White and Holkham Dune from Original Style
9. Curve appeal: With curved sofas being popular towards the end of last year, it’s time to round off any sharp edges at home. Introduce curved furniture, Art Deco fan-shaped tiling in the bathroom and roll tops tubs are perfect. For more information read my Captivating Curved Sofa Seating Trend article.
Bloomsbury Sofa from Heal’s (Affiliate Link and Picture Link)
10. Recycled plastic: As we become more aware of our overuse of plastic and the effect it is having on our oceans and the planet, it’s time to re-use and recycle. The fashion business has been busy creating jewellery and clothing from discarded plastic. Homeware brands are starting to make waves like the Hug@Home brand. I have one of their Navy Herringbone Throws made from 100% recycled plastic bottles. It is soft and washes well so you’d never know it has been from plastic!
100% Recycled Plastic Contemporary Rug from Limited Abode
Ten Home Decor and Interior Design Trends 2020 Post Credits
Author: Homegirl London. Photographs: Feature image from Crown Paints showing Khaki Twist, Gentle Olive and Spotlight paint colours. The other pictures are from Barker and Stonehouse, Graham & Brown, Dulux, Crown Paints, Walls and Floors, Original Style, Heal’s and Limited Abode. Disclosure: This feature includes the following affiliate partner links – Barker and Stonehouse, Graham & Brown, Dulux, Walls and Floors, and Heal’s (if you click through from my website and purchase items from the affiliates, I will earn a small commission).
- Editor Rating
- Rated 5 stars
- Ten Home Decor and Interior Design Trends 2020
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified: