My Ten Things To Do In Newington Green showcases the best restaurants, pubs and shops around the pretty patch of open space called Newington Green. The North London N16 area sits in between Hackney and Islington. It’s next to Stoke Newington and not far from Clissold Park. Because Newington Green is a little walk from train and underground stations, it makes the area a bit of a find. It has a laid-back village feel, thanks to the Green. You’ll enjoy the abundance of independent cafes, eateries, speciality food and wine shops, and hairdressing salons. It’s worth exploring if you find yourself near Stoke Newington or Canonbury.
My Ten Things To Do In Newington Green List
1. Relax on a bench on the Green
2. Admire the Mary Wollstonecraft Sculpture
3. Enjoy a breakfast bap and builders tea on the Green
4. Tuck into a brunch at one of the eateries
5. Savour a lovely lunch with a friend
6. Make the most of your afternoon with an artisan cake
7. Splash out on dinner at one of the top-notch restaurants
8. Pop into a pub for comforting grub or a Sunday roast
9. Pick up quality cheese and wine for supper
10. Book a hair colour and cut at one of the salons
My Favourite Ten Things To Do In Newington Green
1. Newington Green has a patch of land at its centre called Newington Green! Shops, pubs and restaurants surround the idyllic Green. It’s a pleasant place to walk through or sit down on a bench and take a break. There is a little playground for the kids.
2. While wandering through Newington Green, you’ll notice the For Mary Wollstonecraft sculpture by Maggi Hambling. The representation of a naked female figure emerging from organic matter isn’t Mary Wollstonecraft but is the spirit of womanhood. “I do not wish women to have power over men but over themselves,” Mary’s famous quote is inscribed on the plinth. 18th-century author Wollstonecraft (1759-1779) was an advocate of women’s rights. She attended Newington Green Unitarian Church opposite the statue.
3. Lizzy’s on the Green kiosk is an affordable community café serving excellent coffee, builders tea, breakfast baps and fish finger sarnies. Order your food from the counter and find a table overlooking the Green.
4. For breakfast or brunch in a restaurant, try The Acoustic Brasserie for Mediterranean food or On The Green for a regular full English with vegetarian and vegan options.
5. Treat yourself to a lovely lunch at Jolene, where you can share rustic small plates inspired by Italy, Spain and other European culinary destinations. If you’re in a hurry, you can purchase a cake and sandwich from their bakery. Another excellent takeaway lunch spot is the Coffee Joint and Gelateria, with plenty of New York deli-style sandwiches.
6. There is nothing better than an afternoon cake and cup of tea treat at Belle Epoque, the French Patisserie. Choose from eclairs, cheesecakes, lemon meringues, fruit tarts and other sweet treats.
7. Newington Green has a couple of excellent restaurants for dinner. Perilla (contemporary European dishes) and Tranga (Spanish) are my favourites. Others include Jolene and Bergen House (comfort food).
8. Those preferring pub grub will enjoy dining at The Cellars (fish and chips, burgers and small plates) or Lady Mildmay (steak, lamb meatballs and Sunday roasts).
9. Pick up some food and wine treats for supper. Jumi Cheese N16 specialise in Swiss cheeses. Pick up your Aged Emmental, Chilli Raclette, Blue Brain, pickles and crackers for a memorable cheese board. Pop into Belle Epoque for your French stick and Yield N16 for biodynamic wines, craft beer and pantry goodies.
10. Pamper yourself with a colour and cut at Shine or Buller and Rice, which focuses on sustainability. Both salons sell premium haircare products.
Watch My Newington Green Video
Ten Things To Do In Newington Green Information
Read the Newington Green Wikipedia Page to find out more about the area. Canonbury, Dalston Kingsland and Rectory Road are the closest stations.
If you want to explore the area further, please read my relevant articles and take a look at my Newington Green Pinterest Board:
Newington Green North London Guide
Belle Epoque Patisserie Newington Green Review
Jolene Bakery and Restaurant Newington Green Review
Perilla Restaurant Newington Green Review
Love Newington Green Pinterest Board
Author: Homegirl London. Photographs: Homegirl London. Please check that the places I referenced in this article are still in business before you visit to avoid disappointment.