London Guide: Ten Unusual Things to do in Bankside London. There’s certainly a lot of tourist attractions in Bankside SE1, Southwark. If you want to experience the lesser known side of the area, then you’ll love my Ten Unusual Things to do in Bankside. The Low Line, Old Union Arches, Flat Iron Square and Cross Bones Graveyard are all featured.
Ten Unusual Things to do in Bankside London List
10 Unusual Things to do in Bankside London
1. Walk the Bankside Low Line route
2. Eat, drink and socialise at Flat Iron Square
3. Pay your respects at Cross Bones Remembrance Garden
4. Enjoy arts, performances and artisan food at The Old Union Arches
5. Visit the site of the original Globe Theatre
6. Get your art fix for free at the Jerwood Space
7. Enjoy a cultural experience at the Menier Gallery and Theatre
8. Experience an edgy play at The Bunker Theatre
9. Relax in Red Cross Garden
10. Declare your love with a love lock
Ten Unusual Things to do in Bankside London Details
1. Bankside Low Line: Discover Victorian viaducts / rail arches and the thriving independent businesses which now occupy these. Look out for the signs as the route takes via Borough Market, Redcross Way, Flat Iron Square, Metal Box Factory, Ewer Street, Old Union Yard Arches, Blackfriars Road. You can download a map from the Better Bankside Website
Bankside Low Line
2. Flat Iron Square: This is a great place to hang out with friends with inside and outside seating. You can eat from the street food vendors (ramen, pizzas, pasta, etc), food trucks and permanent restaurants. At the weekend you will find vintage stalls selling jewellery, clothing, homewares and gifts. Check out the gig listing for Omeara. Located at 64 Southwark Street SE1 1RU. Flat Iron Square Website
Flat Iron Square
3. Cross Bones Remembrance Garden: Explore the back streets of Bankside and you will see an old burial ground which was known as The Mint, a slum for poor people. Sex workers and paupers were buried there. It is now a remembrance garden, which is run by volunteers. You can see ribbons and messages tied to the iron railings. Cross Bones Graveyard Website
Cross Bones Remembrance Garden
4. Old Union Arches: Set inside a row of railway arches you will find the Union Street Theatre, The Africa Center, restaurants and bars. Located at 229 Union Street. Old Unions Arches Website
Old Union Arches
5. Original Globe Theatre Site: Situated close to the new Shakespeare’s Globe is the original site of the Globe Theatre on Park Street (it burnt down in June 1613). There is a plaque and information boards to the entrance of new flats. Shakespeare’s Globe Website
Original Globe Theatre Site
6. Jerwood Space: Set in a former school, this building provides rehearsal studios and meeting rooms. On the ground floor they usually have interesting free art exhibitions. The School House café is very good for coffee and lunch. Located at 171 Union Street SE1 0LN. Jerwood Space Website
7. Menier Gallery, Theatre and Restaurant: The Menier Gallery hosts free exhibitions, the Menier Chocolate Factory has a small theatre, restaurant and bar. Located at 51 and 53 Southwark Street SE1 1RU. Menier Chocolate Factory Website
8. The Bunker Theatre: See off West End adventurous plays at this former underground parking garage. Located at 53a Southwark Street. The Bunker Theatre Website
The Bunker Theatre
9. Red Cross Garden: This feels like a secret garden which is hidden down a street close to Cross Bones Graveyard and Flat Iron Square. It features beautiful planting, a pond and a row of cottages. Located at 50 Redcross Way SE1 1HA.
Red Cross Garden
10. Love Locks Millennium Bridge Railings: If you’re a romantic make sure to secure a padlock to the railings near the Millennium Bridge near the Tate Modern.
Love Locks Railings Near Millennium Bridge
Ten Unusual Things to do in Bankside London Information
You can reach the Bankside area by travelling to Blackfriars, Southwark, Borough or London Bridge stations. For more information about the area take a look at the Visit Bankside Website. You should also read my Ten Tourist Things To Do In Bankside London List. See pictures of the area on my Love Bankside London Pinterest Board.
Credits: Written by Homegirl London. Photographs by Homegirl London.
- Editor Rating
- Rated 5 stars
- Ten Unusual Things to do in Bankside London
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified: