I decided to write about the Five Food Courts and Markets London SE1 which I eat at on a regular basis. I moved a short walk from The Shard back in February 2018 and really lucked out with street food options. The Five Food Courts and Markets London SE1 List includes Borough Market, Maltby Street Market, Mercato Metropolitano, Flat Iron Square and Vinegar Yard.
Tatami Ramen at Flat Iron Square
Five Food Courts and Markets London SE1 List
1. Borough Market: London’s oldest food market is steeped in history. Located across the road from London Bridge Station you will find vendors selling premium produce from vegetables to fruit, fish, seafood, meat and more. With plenty of street food, you can buy food to eat there at lunch time. If you can find a bench to sit down on lucky you, otherwise walk past Southwark Cathedral to eat your lunch next to the Thames River. You can sample everything from wild mushroom risotto to a salt beef bagel, toasted cheese sandwich, falafel wrap or an Indian dosa. Address: 8 Southwark Street, London SE1 1LT. Open: Tuesday to Thursday 10am-5pm, Friday 10am-6pm and Saturday 8am-5pm. Read my Borough Market London for Food Lovers feature.
2. Maltby Street Market: This weekend food market is totally cute and charming. It’s located at Rope Walk in a collection of railway arches which are used to cut timber floorboards during the week. The food is very good quality which usually includes sausage sarnies, gyozas, arepas, steak and chips, mussels, scotch eggs, toasted cheese sandwiches, sub sandwiches and falafel wraps. You can also buy sweet treats like brownies and waffles plus coffee and freshly squeezed juices. Located near by are plenty of breweries and bars. Address: Maltby Street, Ropewalk, Bermondsey, London SE1 3PA. Open: Saturday 10am-5pm and Sunday 11am-4pm. Read my Maltby Street Market Ropewalk Bermondsey feature.
Maltby Street Market
3. Mercato Metropolitan: If we are meeting a big group of friends for a birthday celebration, Mercato is perfect. People are always bowled over with the extensive choice of food, especially meat eaters. Choose from pizza, pasta, ramen, steak, fish and chips, arepas, wraps, gelato ice cream and more. You will find a cinema and plenty of community activities to get involved with. The Crafty Fox Independent Designers Market is hosted on the first Sunday of every month. Address: 42 Newington Causeway, London SE1 6DR which is next to The Ministry of Sound. Open: Monday to Thursday 8am-11pm, Friday 8am-12am, Saturday 11am-12am and Sunday 11am-10pm. Read my Mercato Metropolitano Food Market Elephant and Castle feature.
4. Flat Iron Square: This is a Bankside located food hub with events and music. A portion of the space is undercover with a food arch and bar. You can eat pizza, ramen, pasta, fried chicken and salads from the vendors which is all super tasty. You will also find food trucks and permanent restaurants here. With a large outdoor area, this is a great place to hang out during the summer months. Address: 64 Southwark Street, London SE1 1RU. Open: Monday 12-9pm, Tuesday to Friday 12pm-12am, Saturday 10am-12am and Sunday 10am-8pm. Read my Flat Iron Square Food Arch London SE1 feature.
Flat Iron Square
5. Vinegar Yard: This venue has recently opened up. It is located directly opposite London Bridge on a piece of land. Look out for the tube train art installation with giant red ants by Joe Rush who has a workshop based at Vinegar Yard. You will find food trucks around an uncovered seating area selling pasta, burgers, pizza, steak and chips plus breakfast and coffee by The Gentleman Baristas. There is also a bar area which is undercover. The Flea Vintage market is held there at the weekends with some permanent stalls inside shipping containers. A great place to be when the sun is shining. Address: 72-82 St Thomas Street, London SE1 3QU. Open: Monday to Thursday 12pm-11pm, Friday 12pm-12am, Saturday 11am-12am and Sunday 10am-9am. Read my Vinegar Yard London Bridge Food Trucks and More feature.
Best Food Courts and Markets London SE1 For You
If you have kids, I would recommend Mercato Metropolitan. For small groups of people and foodies go to Maltby Street Market at the weekend. If you want to take your dog out, Vinegar Yard is a good option. If it’s sunny all of these food markets are great. If it is raining Vinegar Yard and Maltby Street aren’t the best. Borough Market is great if you are visiting London as it is the most historic and a wonderful place to explore.
Food Courts and Markets London SE1 Travel Information
Travel to London Bridge for Borough Market, Vinegar Yard, Flat Iron Square and Maltby Street Market. Mercato Metropolitan is close to Elephant and Castle. You can walk to all of these places from Borough station as well. Enjoy your food!
Author: Homegirl London. Photographs: Homegirl London.