DIY Home Improvements: The May Bank Holiday is on the horizon which is traditionally set aside for DIY Home Improvements. Now that we are practising Coronavirus social distancing, we have run out of excuses to put off these long-overdue tasks. I have put together a list of ten stylish DIY home improvements that will enhance the appearance of your property. You can order these items from online suppliers, so you don’t even have to leave your house.
Petal Pink Picket Bevelled Tiles from Walls and Floors (Affiliate Link and Picture Link)
Ten Stylish DIY Home Improvements
1. Upgrade your skirting boards: Revive existing skirting boards by sanding and applying a fresh coat. If you have DIY skills, you can consider replacing the skirting boards with an inexpensive MDF option in a design that is more in keeping with the period of your property. I recommend Metres Direct who supply over sixty different options, including MDF and Oak varieties.
2. Add interest to a dull room with wallpaper: Bold florals are on-trend for 2020. There are plenty of patterns, designs and colours to consider. I love the Bougainvillea collection by Cole & Son, which you can buy from Wallpaperdirect (Affiliate Link).
Ochre and Petrol Ink Bougainvillea by Cole & Son from Wallpaperdirect (Affiliate Link and Picture Link)
3. Paint your interior walls a beautiful colour: If your walls are scuffed and tired, they could probably benefit from a fresh coat of paint. Before you decide on a shade, check interior blogs and magazines for on-trend paint colours. Green paint shades and Classic Blue are the most talked-about paint colour trends for 2020. Try Designerpaint (Affiliate Link) who stock a wide range of brands including Farrow & Ball, Little Greene and Sanderson.
4. Change leaking taps in your bathroom and kitchen: A quick way to smarten up your bathroom or kitchen is by replacing the taps. Mixer taps with a flexible spray are fabulous and functional for the kitchen while black taps are a bold and beautiful option for your bathroom. Sanctuary Bathrooms (Affiliate Link)supply both kitchen and bathroom taps.
Crosswater Cucina Cook Dual Control Kitchen Mixer With Flexi Spray from Sanctuary Bathrooms (Affiliate Link and Picture Link)
5. Replace bathroom tiles with stylish designs in an interesting pattern: Recent popular tiling patterns include Chevron and Herringbone. My favourite new tiles are the Picket Bevelled Tiles from Walls and Floors (Affiliate Link), which are a modern take on the hexagonal and metro brick tiles.
6. Refresh your kitchen splashback: Even if you have limited DIY skills, refreshing your kitchen splashback is easier than you think. Try the PVC Peel and Stick Panel to add a pop of colour to your wall. Take a look at Wayfair (Affiliate Link) for other options.
PVC Peel and Stick Panel from Ebern Designs at Wayfair (Affiliate Link and Picture Link)
7. Replace tired window dressings with new blinds: Buying wooden blinds, Venetian blinds, roman blinds and roller blinds online is very easy. Just measure the windows, and within a few days, your new blinds will arrive. Blackout blinds are an excellent choice for bedrooms, while wooden blinds can smarten up your living room. Those with DIY skills may like to fit wooden shutters. Shop at directblinds (Affiliate Link) where you will find a wide selection of colours and designs.
8. Dress your windows with new curtains: If you prefer curtains, you should also pay attention to the curtain pole design which should look stylish and be the right type for the curtain fixings. Curtains can add a splash of colour and pattern to neutral rooms. Try Terry’s Fabrics (Affiliate Link) where you can purchase inexpensive curtains and curtain poles.
Chicago Ready Made Eyelet Curtains form Terry’s Fabrics (Affiliate Link and Picture Link)
9. Swap lamp shades for designer alternatives: An easy way to transform a room is by hanging a beautiful designer pendant shade. Splash out on a beautifully crafted fitting, and you’ll instantly add a touch of glamour to a room. Tom Dixon (Affiliate Link) is the king of designer lighting who leads the way in lighting trends so take a look at his collection first. Pay attention to the light bulbs because these designs have improved over the last few years and can enhance your lighting choice.
10. Hang your flat screen TV on a wall: Create a modern interior by hanging your flat screen TV to a wall in the living room. I recently attached a TV in the guest bedroom using a bracket from VonHaus (Affiliate Link). Bracket options include flat to wall, swivel and tilt.
DIY Home Improvements Post Credits
Author: Homegirl London who is self-isolating at home with her laptop! Photographs: The featured image shows Mint Picket Bevelled Tiles from Walls and Floors. Additional images from Sanctuary Bathrooms, Wallpaperdirect, Wayfair and Terry’s Fabrics. Disclosure: Metres Direct is a Sponsored Link/Advertising. This feature includes the following affiliate partner links – Wallpaperdirect, Designer Paint, Sanctuary Bathrooms, Walls and Floors, Wayfair, directblinds, Terry’s Fabric, Tom Dixon and VonHaus (if you click through from my website and purchase items from the affiliates, I will earn a small commission).